During World War II, Josephine Baker served with the French Red Cross and was an active member of the French resistance movement. Using her career as a cover Baker became an intelligence agent, carrying secret messages written in invisible ink on her sheet music. She was awarded the Croix de Guerre, and received a Medal of the Resistance in 1946. In 1961 she received the highest French honor, the Legion d’Honneur awarded by then President Charles de Gaulle.
Our loss, U.S.A….
If you don’t admire the shit out of J. Baker, who was also pretty openly bisexual and adopted NINETEEN children in addition to the badassery mentioned above, I want you to go sit in the corner and think about your life choices.
um she was also a huge civil rights activist and her refusal to perform for segregated audiences at major clubs that were fallin over themselves to book her helped de-segregate vegas performance venues
aaaand she had a pet cheetah
This miniature ecosystem has been thriving in an almost completely isolated state for more than forty years. It has been watered just once in that time.
The original single spiderwort plant has grown and multiplied, putting out seedlings. As it has access to light, it continues to photosynthesize. The water builds up on the inside of the bottle and then rains back down on the plants in a miniature version of the water cycle.
As leaves die, they fall off and rot at the bottom producing the carbon dioxide and nutrients required for more plants to grow.
if you don’t think this is fucking rad then get out of my face
For more comics, go to Dorkly.com!
i’m pretty sure you created tron
*DAFT PUNK INTENSIFIES*
Welcome to the grid
Park opened in Glasgow with a path stating every gig at the Barrowlands since 1983
This is awesome
I need feminism because: when I reported a male teacher for sexual assault…
- I was told by students who were not there at the time it happened that “You shouldn’t have reported him.”
- I had to miss my classes whilst the investigation was going on. He continued to teach as usual.
- He suffered little to no consequences, whilst I was seen as a lying bitch.
- The panel who dealt with it were all males aged 40-60.
- This teacher is known by almost all students to be a pervert.
- AND I STILL HAVE HIM AS A TEACHER, ONE YEAR ON, DESPITE THERE BEIN MANY OTHER TEACHERS IN HIS SUBJECT. MY TIMETABLE “CANNOT” BE CHANGED.
Arkadia Park, Poland (by Bartosz MORĄG)
Lisbon, Portugal (by im·per·fec·tion)
The eagle represents Zeus who is holding the Trojan prince Ganymede.
They are 6cm high (2 3/8 inch.)
Greek, Classical period, 330 - 300 BC.
Source: Metropolitan Museum